by Oo Nwoye
Paystack is the easiest way to accept one-off and recurring payments online. We’ve figured it all out for you, from start to finish. No set up costs, no token, no redirects, no commitments.
Source: Paystack Blog
Oh my, I have waited to write this post for years! The title was ready 3 years ago.
For quite a long time, I and many others kept on lamenting about the dire state of Nigerian payments especially as it involved digital payments. It led me to write a blogpost where I lamented life as a second class citizen of the web saying
Don’t fucking worry about bridging the digital divide, just level the playing ground!
Of course I perpetually predicted payments solved every other year. and ranted when I had the opportunity .
Of course I am not including the times I shamelessly pleaded fro Stripe to “come to Nigeria” (Hey, don’t come now, we’re good) and my compatriots launched a petition to bring Paypal to Nigeria.
So what were the main issues?
it is practically IMPOSSIBLE to build an Internet company without the ability to collect money easily and store the cards securely to charge again.
Almost none of the YC companies would be viable without it. Same as Apple, Microsoft, Amazon etc.
Anyway, it’s all sorted now. A little boy in Jigawa can quietly build his SaaS company and get paid for it. A little girl in Ebonyi can easily sell goods digitally and sell to the world.
Take it from me, Paystack is a big deal and it is 100% Nigerian made for the make benefit of Nigerians and Africa. The recognition of its importance will be apparent soon
Shola, you did it man. Congratulations to you and your team. The real work begins now.
by Oo Nwoye
I decided I needed to get business cards for an event tomorrow and decided to use my favorite online print shop Printivo. I uploaded my design, hit check out and my life took a left turn
If Printivo were using Stripe, Balanced or any payment system from the 21st century, I would have had to click a single button since as a returning customer, my card details would have been stored. Instead here is what happened.
- I decided to pay with my Diamond Bank company card and after several redirections, was told I needed to go to the ATM to activate my VISA card for online payments.
- I took out my personal GTBank Card, after several redirections, it decided to give me an unintelligible error.
- I tried GTBank Mastercard again, same error.
- I emailed the merchant. Waited to find out if the payment went through and was told it didn’t. Was advised to use online transfer.
- I has not used online banking in 3+ years so I had to pull out my form, search for my token and log in to GTBank online (I got these recently).
- Ater entering PINS upon PINs, I got to where I was to add a new beneficiary. Filled in all the details and was told to “Answer your Secret Question?”. Of course since there there are a million secret questions, I had no idea what the question was so I typed ’42’. It seems that is not the answer to the meaning of life.
- I emailed the merchant who I’m lucky to know personally, and pleaded to be given credit.
- Decided to give up, tweeted my frustrations and it got favorited by Tayo, Paga oga.
- Aha! I remembered I always used Paga for my bank transfers until our dear Interswitch decided to make online payments so safe that card owners could not use their cards.
- I logged into Paga and deposited money into my Paga account. I had to do it thrice becuse I was on the lowest tier of KYC. Yup I had to do the redirect to Interswitch and OTP three times.
- Transfers the money to Printivo.
I deserve a meal.
PS: I skipped the steps where I took out time to insult a few people’s fathers and censored like 10 “fucking shits”. But you get the gist.