What will be your last tweet after you die?
Do you want your Facebook still functioning after you are gone? Any last cheeky status update ? e.g “I can seeee yooou. hahahaha *ghost laugh*”
What happens to your blog? Do you want a final post to tell the world goodbye? What about your hosting? Do you want it to last forever?
What about your emails? Do you want your Family to go through them?. Any auto responders to those that email after you have taken leave of the earth?
Will you want to cancel any subscriptions?
The documents, agreements, and all the important stuff in the cloud (email, pictures, digital invoices, etc), how will those that need them get access?
I know people do not like thinking about death but times have changed and some things have not changed with it. A lot of our valuables are in digital form and there is no succession plan I know of that takes care of this stuff. I would like to have control over the thinks I have enumerated above after I have gone. I certainly do not want the hosting on this blog to die and the thousands of pictures I have in Picasa to be lost forever.
Now here is how money is made from this sad idea.
There should be a middle man you leave all these instructions with. Say an insurance company or a law firm that would carry out the instructions after you have gone. You pay a premium of $10/ year and you are sure your AwesomenessReminders subscription is cancelled when you do not need it anymore .
This is the first in the series of my blogging about my ideas
This weekend I am participating in Launch48. It is an all weekend event in which a web app idea is conceived and launced in 48hours. It is the best crash course for anyone who wants to understand what it takes to create the next Facebook. I have attended 4 Launch48 events since its inception over a year ago and it remains my favorite.
However, this event is different for me because after 4 events, 16months and 2 cities, my idea was finally among chosen to be worked on (more on that in a subsequent blogpost). It is exciting because in 48 hours my idea would be live. That’s cool.
Watch this space and the Launch48 blog as I update you on what’s happening.
My idea? FacebookTu.be
Please don’t believe the cartoon
Not boasting, I am an ideas man! When I auditioned for the now defunct Intern TV Show back in Nigeria, I claimed I had about 20 business ideas written down, I lied, it was about 50
Enough of the weak attempt at boasting.
There is a very big downside of having so many ‘great ideas’, it is easy to get distracted when trying to execute any one, because the other ones seem more exciting. And after a while of just talking about the so many things you could be doing without delivering, you can start loosing credibility. Unfortunately, if you are good at generating ideas, you just cant stop having them so they just keep distracting you.
I battled with this for
a while years before I decided to commit to OnePage. It is the longest project I have ever committed to in my life and it is possible only because I found my man Joel who I could execute with. Every once in a while though, I get distracted and tell him of another great idea, he is now used to it . My former housemate Wale and a few of my friends can also testify about me harassing him with my ideas.
The main reason I tell people of my ideas is because once it has been done, it no longer crosses my mind and it means less distraction. Unfortunately, I have met very few people willing to work on my ideas therefore I have reached the limit of having them lying around in my head. It is getting too distracting.
Towards this end, I have resolved to blog about my ideas hoping there will someone willing to take it up. (I can hear Joel heaving a sign of relief)
I will start pouring them forth hopefully, at the rate of one a week.
- Not all my ideas are commercial some are very social in nature. Some are outright fun projects.
- Not all my ideas will be brilliant to you. Most will be outright dumb to you, no vex.
- Ideas on their own are valued at near Zero. It is all about the execution.
- Ideas are easier
ideaed said than done. It will definitely not be as easy as I’ll attempt to make it sound.
- I am sure all my ideas are not original as people think up stuff at the same time around the world. I just have not heard about it.
- Some ideas are blatant replication (I will clearly indicate) but the ‘idea’ is in the application in another scenario. e.g. applying something in US to Nigeria.
- Some ideas would have been got from some people, if I remember who, I will credit the person, if not, I’ll say so
- Everyone has ideas, so I am not claiming any monopoly of ideas.
- My idea posts are just to ignite a spark and are not indented to be a complete business plan. The commercial viability of anything I put out will have to be checked out buy you if you intend moving further with it. If you are interested in anyone of them, I am willing to send more information your way…if I like
So watch out for my first idea post, coming soon!